Meredith practices primarily in taxation, administrative and commercial law.
She has extensive experience dealing with all stages of taxation audits and disputes across a wide range of different tax issues, and has appeared on behalf of both taxpayers and revenue authorities, alone and with silk, in the High Court, the Federal Court, the AAT, the VCAT, and in the Supreme Courts of Victoria, Tasmania and NSW.
Meredith appears regularly in judicial review proceedings in the Supreme and Federal Courts and has particular expertise in proceedings involving judicial review of opinions of Medical Panels constituted under the Workplace Injury and Compensation Act 2013 (Vic).
Prior to coming to the Bar, Meredith was Associate to the Honourable Justice Julie Dodds-Streeton.
Meredith holds a Juris Doctor degree (First Class Honours) and an LL.M from the University of Melbourne. She was awarded the Melbourne JD Deans Award in both 2002 and 2003 (student placed first over all subjects), the Arnold Bloch Leibler award for Corporations Law and the Middletons Award for Intellectual Property. Meredith completed her LL.M in January 2017 by a research thesis exploring the current boundaries of the administrative law ground of unreasonableness.
Some recent published cases:-
- Aussiegolfa Pty Ltd (Trustee) v Commissioner of Taxation  FCA 1525
- Aussiegolfa Pty Ltd as trustee of the Benson Family Superannuation Fund and Commissioner of Taxation (Taxation)  AATA 3013
- Benjamin v Commissioner of Taxation  FCA 1157 (23 September 2016)
- Benjamin and Commissioner of Taxation (Taxation)  AATA 39 (19 January 2017)
- Commissioner of Taxation of the Commonwealth of Australia v Haritos  HCATrans 337; Haritos v Commissioner of Taxation  FCAFC 92;
- Qualweld Australia Pty Ltd v Chief Commissioner of State Revenue  NSWCATAP 249; Qualweld Australia Pty Ltd v Chief Commissioner of State Revenue  NSWCATAD 227
- Freelance Global Ltd atf the Freelance Trust No. 1 v State Commissioner of NSW  NSWSC 127
- Haritos & Ors v Commissioner of Taxation & Ors  VSCA 79; Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Effie Haritos & Ors  VSC 379
- Kipniak Pty Ltd v Rann  VSC 651
- Bismillah Khan v Romas  VSC 731
- Gill v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection http:// FCAFC 51 (24 March 2017)
- Stojilkovic v Romas & Ors  VSC 49 (17 February 2017)
- Pearce v Dr John Lloyd  VSC 806 (21 December 2016)
- Tan v Kotzman  VSC 482 (25 August 2016)
- Omerasevic v Kotzman  VSC 383 (22 July 2016) and  VSC 429 (2 August 2016)
- Pacific Services Group Pty Ltd (in Liq): Craig David Crosbie in his capacity as joint and several liquidator v Commissioner of Taxation [2016-ongoing]. Currently briefed unled by the Commissioner of Taxation in significant unfair preference claims brought by liquidators in the Victorian Supreme Court
- Gunns Ltd (in Liq): Daniel M Bryant, Ian M Carson and Craig D Crosbie (in their capacities as joint and several liquidators) [2015-16]. Appeared unled on behalf of the Commissioner of Taxation (in the Victorian Supreme Court) and the Commonwealth of Australia (in the Federal Court of Australia) defending unfair preference claims brought by the liquidators of the Gunns Group of companies.
A full list of published cases can be found here.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 6783
FAX +61 3 9225 6355
Chambers: Room 417
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Inquests, Inquiries, Tribunals & Commissions
Motor Vehicle Accidents
Public Law & Administrative Law
Tax Law & Revenue Law
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
11 May 2006
LL.M, JD, BA, Assoc. Dip. Mus(Opera) LL.M
Pro Bono Committee