- Commercial Law
- Public Law
Dominic has been a Barrister since 2007 and has been admitted as an Australian Legal Practitioner since 2002.
Dominic practises in commercial litigation, in particular building disputes and property law and appearance and advice work in Workcover, TAC, public liability, product liability, medical and professional negligence.
He has appeared in the Supreme Courts of Victoria, New South Wales and Tasmania, and Federal Jurisdictions. He maintains chambers in Melbourne and Geelong.
Dominic read with Alister McNab (now Justice McNab of the Federal Circuit and Family Court of Australia)
Some of the matters that Dominic has been briefed in include:
- SMEC Australia Pty Limited v 71 Queens Road Investments Pty Ltd (with Michael D Wyles QC and later SR Horgan QC) leases and tenancies; relief against forfeiture; construction; repudiation.
- Geron v Geron & Anor (2018) Family Court & Supreme Court; partnership dispute; family law issues; caveat; corporations law.
- KP Performance Parts Pty Ltd v Pat Callinan Publishing Pty Ltd (2018) VCAT jurisdiction; Application to transfer proceedings to the District Court of New South Wales.
- DKVT Investments Pty Ltd v Varcity Solutions Pty Ltd (2018) Caveat dispute
- In the matter of Howell atf the bankrupt Estate of Marshall (2018) Supreme Court; caveats; priority dispute; funds in court.
- Free Spirit Airlines Pty Ltd v Awesome Aviation Pty Ltd (2017) County Court; Aviation law; breach of contract and misleading or deceptive conduct.
- Smartscaff Pty Ltd v Capital Scaffolding Pty Ltd (2017) VSC 606 jurisdiction; application to transfer proceedings to Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Liang & Anor v Gao & Ors (2017) Federal Court (with Paul Vout) security for costs; acting for plaintiffs in claim for misleading or deceptive conduct; breach of contract
- Cellcon Australia Pty Ltd v Eastern States Engineering Pty Ltd (2017) County Court; application to transfer proceedings to Supreme Court of Queensland.
- Estate of Kelly, Kelly & Smith v Kelly (2017) Supreme Court deceased estate proceedings involving 10 parties ongoing; approval of compromise.
- Imagebuild Group Pty Ltd v Cidec Pty Ltd & ors (2017) injunction County Court
- Tanom Pty Ltd v Owners Corporation No.1 & 2 Plan No. 514288 (2017) VCAT Water Act Dispute
- In the matter of Premier Developments Pty Ltd (2017) Supreme Court insolvency; setting aside statutory demand.
- Jasmin Solar Pty Ltd v ABB Australia Pty Ltd (2017) Strike Out; Australian Consumer Law
- Rosaria Basile v Hamilton Marino (Vic) Pty Ltd & Ors (2017) County Court – Building Damage negligence
- Sidoti v Owners Corporation 633715B (2016) VCAT 1880
- James & Phillip Woolard Pty Ltd v Kinson (2016) VCAT 80; Kinson v James & Philip Woolard Pty Ltd (2016) VCAT 79; OC dispute; easements; Water Act
- Owners Corporation v Regensburger Property Group (2016) OC
- Owners Corporation No. 1 PS519798G v May (2016) VCAT 399; OC dispute
- Owners Corporation No.8 PS422665R v Walton (2015) VCAT 1742; Owners Corporation
- Novawest Contracting v Brimbank City Council (2015) VSC 679 Building; Referral to Arbitration; Stay of proceedings pursuant to Arbitration Agreement.
- Maxstra Constructions Pty Ltd v Hogan; Oceanview Commercial Windows & Glass Pty Ltd v Maxstra (2015); building dispute; County Court.
- Brolton Group Pty Limited v Eric Nelson & Lindsay F Nelson Manufacturing Pty Limited 2015 (NSWSC) dispute relating to construction of a silo;
- Sharman v Top Centre (Tasmania) Pty Ltd (2015) injunction (Supreme Court of Tasmania)
- Defteros v Scott (2014) VSC 205 – Appeal from Magistrates Court
- Southon Constructions Pty Ltd v Forstar Pty Ltd matters including (2014) VCC 306; (No.2)(2014) VCC 349; related insolvency litigation in Supreme Court & building dispute in VCAT
- Kottai v Scope Constructions (Vic) Pty Ltd (Building & Property)  VCAT 1461; Strike out application; res judicata and issue estoppel issues.
- Skilltech Consulting Pty Ltd v Boldvision Pty Ltd (2013) (with Tim Margetts QC) Supreme Court; insolvency; statutory demand; enforcement; building.
- Oliver & Jasmine Investments Pty Ltd v White (2013) VCAT 740 acting for builder;
- Product Development Projects Pty Ltd v Owners Corporation (2012) VCC 1335 – Security of Payment Act
- Matic Plastering Pty Ltd v Milojevic (2012) VCC 556 – Security of Payment Act claim
- G & C Hellings Holdings Pty Ltd v Latrobe Villas Pty Ltd (2013) (County Court) – Disptue re collapse of a retaining wall; negligence; nuisance
- Citipower Pty v The Rattray Group Pty Ltd & Ors (2016) County Court building dispute; negligence.
- Simpson v Rowe (2011) VSC 279 – dispute over solicitor’s lien
- RE MIG Property Services Pty Ltd matters including (2012) VSC 122 (No.2); (2012) VSC 606; and (2012) VSCA 126 with Peter Tree SC
- Polidoro Developments Pty Ltd v Hayek & Anor (2012) VSC 20 – Caveat Dispute
- Camilleri & Ors v Oldroyd & Ors (OC) (2011) VCAT 279 & (2011) VCAT 1123
- Olex Australia Pty Ltd & Major Engineering Pty Ltd & Gillespie Powers Inc (with David McAndrew) acting for third party engineers.
Dominic read with Alister McNab (now Judge McNab of the Federal Circuit Court)
His Senior Mentor was Peter Murdoch QC
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
- Commercial Law
- Building & Construction
- Contractual Disputes
- Corporate Insolvency
- Corporations & Securities
- Real Property
- Guardianship & Administration
- Wills and Estates
- Public Law
- Judicial Review and Administrative law
- Merits Review
ADMISSIONS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
- 24 May 2007
LLB (Hons): BA