Jim accepts briefs in a range of matters, including in public, commercial, industrial, environment and planning, and tax law.
Before coming to the Bar, Jim was:
- Associate to the Hon. Justice R.R.S Tracey AM RFD, Federal Court of Australia (2016/17);
- Associate to the Hon. Justice Mordy Bromberg, Federal Court of Australia (2015/16);
- Senior Lawyer (previously Lawyer, previously Law Clerk) in the commercial litigation practice of Meyer Vandenberg Lawyers, Canberra (2009–2015).
Jim holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons. 1st), and a Bachelor of Arts, from the Australian National University.
Jim’s experience at the Court was predominantly in industrial and public law. His private-practice experience was of a general commercial nature, including contractual, insolvency, leasing, trade practices, partnership, payroll tax, valuation, town planning, and personal property securities matters.
Some of Jim's recent matters include:
- Animals Australia Federation v Sect., Dept. of Agriculture & Anor (Federal Court of Australia, VID 688/2018, led by D Star QC and N Wood)
- Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union v CPB Contractors Pty Ltd and The Australian Workers’ Union  FWCFB 3702 (led by S Moore QC)
- Leda Commercial Properties Pty Ltd v Brenda Hungerford Pty Ltd  ACTCA 17 (led by M Walsh SC)
- Miller v Miller  VSCA 1 (led by C Symons)
- MacKillop Family Services Pty Ltd T/A MacKillop Family Services  FWC 617 (for the Australian Municipal, Administrative, Clerical and Services Union, led by S Moore QC)
- AGV17 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCCA 225
- Gumurdul v Northern Land Council (Federal Court of Australia, VID 626/2017, led by N Wood)
- Ellis v Central Land Council (Federal Court of Australia, VID 20/2017, led by N Wood)
- Rirratjingu Aboriginal Corporation & Ors v Northern Land Council & Ors, NTD 8/2017 (for the Third Respondent and Cross-claimant, Djalu Gurruwiwi)
Jim is published on corporate insolvency, personal property securities, commercial leasing, and civil procedure. He is a member of the Melbourne subcommittee of the Insolvency and Reconstruction Law Committee of the Law Council of Australia. He is a Sessional Tutor in Property Law at Monash University.
Jim read with Claire Harris, and his senior mentor is Rachel Doyle SC.
To view Jim's CV click here.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 8206
Chambers: Room 1121
460 Lonsdale Street
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Property & Probate
Environmental Law & Planning Law
Industrial Relations Law & Employment Law
Public Law & Administrative Law
Human Rights Law
Tax Law & Revenue Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
15 Jun 2012
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
04 May 2017