Jim accepts briefs in a range of matters, predominantly in public, industrial, and commercial matters, though also in environment and planning, and tax matters.
Before coming to the Bar, Jim was:
- Associate to the Hon. Justice R.R.S Tracey AM RFD, Federal Court of Australia (2016/17);
- Associate to the Hon. Justice Mordy Bromberg, Federal Court of Australia (2015/16);
- Senior Lawyer (previously Lawyer, previously Law Clerk) in the commercial litigation practice of Meyer Vandenberg Lawyers, Canberra (2009–2015).
Jim holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons. 1st), and a Bachelor of Arts, from the Australian National University.
Some of Jim's recent public law litigious matters are these:
- AJL20 v Commonwealth of Australia  FCA 1305 (led by N Wood) (an application for a writ of habeas corpus in regard to a person in immigration detention, for the detainee)
- Animals Australia Federation v. Secretary, Department of Agriculture, Water, and the Environment (Federal Court of Australia (Federal Court of Australia, VID 392 of 2020, led by D Star QC and N Wood)
- Minister for Home Affairs & Anor v. Marie Theresa Arthur as Litigation Representative for BXD18; Minister for Home Affairs & Anor v. DJA18 as litigation representative for DIZ18 (High Court of Australia, M28/2020 and M30/2020, led by C Horan QC and L De Ferrari SC)
- CFE16 v Minister for Immigration; CFD16 v Minister for Immigration  FCCA 1083 (unled)
- Secretary, Department of Home Affairs v CCA19  FCAFC 209 (led by C Horan QC and E Bennett) (concerning the interpretation of the so-called "Medivac" legislation, for the asylum-seeker)
- BEL16 v Minister for Home Affairs  FCA 1678 (unled)
- Garbett v Liu  FCAFC 241 (led by L De Ferrari SC) (concerning the display of purple-and-white corflutes in Melbourne electorates, for the petitioners)
- CCA19 v Secretary, Department of Home Affairs  FCA 946; (2019) 165 ALD 503 (led by C Horan QC and E Bennett) (concerning the interpretation of the so-called "Medivac" legislation, for the asylum-seeker)
- CCA19 v Minister for Home Affairs  FCA 939 (led by E Bennett) (interlocutory application seeking to have an asylum-seeker removed from Nauru for medical treatment, for the asylum-seeker)
- FRM17 v Minister for Home Affairs  FCAFC 148 for DJA18 as litigation representative for DIZ18 and for Marie Theresa Arthur as litigation guardian for BXD18 (led by C Horan QC and L De Ferrari SC) (matter concerning the jurisdiction of the Federal Court of Australia to hear applications for removal of persons from Nauru for medical treatment)
- AON15 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCAFC 48 (led by N Wood)
- AKH16 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCAFC 47 ( led by N Wood)
- MZAAZ v Minister for Home Affairs (Federal Court of Australia, VID1261/2017, unled)
- Animals Australia Federation v Sect., Dept. of Agriculture & Anor (Federal Court of Australia, VID688/2018, led by D Star QC and N Wood) (judicial review application in relation to decision of Secretary to approve a particular live-export shipment of sheep to the Middle East)
- AGV17 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCCA 225 (unled)
- Gumurdul v Northern Land Council (Federal Court of Australia, VID626/2017, led by N Wood) (judicial review of a purported decision of a Land Council, on behalf of certain traditional Aboriginal owners of land)
- Ellis v Central Land Council (Federal Court of Australia, VID20/2017, led by N Wood) (judicial review of a purported decision of a Land Council, on behalf of certain traditional Aboriginal owners of land)
- Rirratjingu Aboriginal Corporation & Ors v Northern Land Council & Ors, NTD8/2017 (for the Third Respondent and Cross-claimant, Djalu Gurruwiwi, unled) (judicial review of a purported decision of, and private law action against, a Land Council, on behalf of a traditional Aboriginal owner of land)
Some of Jim's recent industrial litigious matters are these:
- Association for Employees with a Disability v The Commonwealth of Australia (Full Court of the Federal Court of Australia, VID336/2020, led by M Harding SC)
- Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union v Abseal Pty Ltd & Anor (Federal Court of Australia, VID401/2020, unled)
- Automotive, Food, Metals, Engineering, Printing and Kindred Industries Union (AMWU) v Glass Expansion Pty Ltd & Ors (Federal Court of Australia, VID373/2020, unled)
- Australian Workers' Union v Ground Hog Civil (Vic) Pty Ltd (Fair Work Commission, C2019/1064, unled)
- DP World Melbourne Limited v Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union (Federal Court of Australia, VID810/2019, led by E White)
- Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union v DP World Melbourne Limited  FWCFB 6430; (2019) 290 IR 128 (led by E White)
- Maribyrnong City Council v Australian Municipal, Administrative, Clerical and Services Union & Ors  FCA 773; (2019) 369 ALR 704 (led by C Dowling SC)
- Applications by CPB Contractors Pty Limited & John Holland Pty Ltd  FWC 1122 (for the Australian Workers' Union, unled)
- Canfor v State of Victoria (Federal Court of Australia, VID331/2018, led by R Doyle SC)
- Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union v CPB Contractors Pty Ltd and The Australian Workers’ Union  FWCFB 3702; 280 IR 293 (led by S Moore QC (as his Honour then was))
- MacKillop Family Services Pty Ltd T/A MacKillop Family Services  FWC 617 (for the Australian Municipal, Administrative, Clerical and Services Union, led by S Moore QC (as his Honour then was))
Some of Jim's recent commercial litigious matters are these:
- API & Ors v Central Park & Anor; API & Ors v Lemon & Anor (County Court of Victoria, CI-19-02418 and CI-19-02415, led by E Nekvapil)
- Kazar as Liquidator of HBMW Pty Ltd (in liq) (Federal Court of Australia, ACD 9 of 2020, unled)
- In the matter of WTI Australia Pty Ltd (in liquidation) (Supreme Court of Victoria, S ECI 2019 01301, unled) (asserted insolvent trading, breach of director's duties)
- Kazar, in the matter of Paragon Printers Australasia Pty Ltd (in liq) (Federal Court of Australia, VID 262 of 2019, unled)
- Leda Commercial Properties Pty Ltd v Brenda Hungerford Pty Ltd  ACTCA 17; 13 ACTLR 252; 337 FLR 252 (led by M Walsh SC) (commercial leasing; asserted misleading or deceptive conduct)
- Miller v Miller  VSCA 1 (led by C Symons) (equity; employment claims)
- BSA Ltd v Victorian Workcover Authority (Supreme Court of Victoria, led by C Harris QC)
Some of Jim's recent matters not falling within the foregoing categories are these:
- Briefed to appear in the Hotel Quarantine Program Inquiry (led by D Star QC, J Davidson);
- Cumaiyi & ors v Northern Territory of Australia & Anor (Federal Court of Australia, NTD36/2019, led by R Merkel QC and A Pound SC) (class proceeding in relation to allegations of race discrimination by the Respondents against the Applicants and group members in relation to provisions of services in Wadeye, Northern Territory)
Some of Jim's recent advisory matters are these:
- Providing advice in relation to whether a particular instrument was inconsistent with the Constitutional implied freedom of political communication or otherwise inconsistent with its authorising Act;
- Providing advice in relation to whether particular State legislation was invalid by operation of section 109 of the Constitution;
- Providing advice in relation to whether particular proposed Commonwealth legislation was within the scope of a referral of power to the Commonwealth by a State for the purposes of section 51(xxxvii) of the Constitution;
- Providing advice in relation to the intersection of the unfair preferences regime in the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) with the Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth).
Jim’s experience at the Court was predominantly in industrial and public law. His private-practice experience was of a general commercial nature, including contractual, insolvency, leasing, trade practices, partnership, payroll tax, valuation, town planning, and personal property securities matters.
Jim is published on corporate insolvency, personal property securities, commercial leasing, and civil procedure, and has presented at conferences on these subjects and on statutory interpretation. A list of publications and papers is behind the "Publications" tab on his VicBar profile, and each can be made available on request.
He is a member of the Melbourne subcommittee of the Insolvency and Reconstruction Law Committee of the Law Council of Australia. He is a Sessional Tutor at Monash University.
Jim read with Claire Harris QC, and his senior mentor is Rachel Doyle SC.
To view Jim's CV click here.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 8206
Email [email protected]
Chambers: Room 1113
460 Lonsdale Street
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Property & Probate
Environmental Law & Planning Law
Industrial Relations Law & Employment Law
Public Law & Administrative Law
Human Rights Law
Tax Law & Revenue Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
15 Jun 2012
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
04 May 2017