Jim accepts briefs in a range of matters, including in public, industrial, commercial, environment and planning, and tax law.
Before coming to the Bar, Jim was:
- Associate to the Hon. Justice R.R.S Tracey AM RFD, Federal Court of Australia (2016/17);
- Associate to the Hon. Justice Mordy Bromberg, Federal Court of Australia (2015/16);
- Senior Lawyer (previously Lawyer, previously Law Clerk) in the commercial litigation practice of Meyer Vandenberg Lawyers, Canberra (2009–2015).
Jim holds a Bachelor of Laws (Hons. 1st), and a Bachelor of Arts, from the Australian National University.
Some of Jim's recent litigious matters are:
- Yates v Frydenberg; Garbett v Liu (Federal Court of Australia sitting as Court of Disputed Returns, VID 1018 of 2019 and VID 1019 of 2019, led by L De Ferrari SC and G Costello)
- Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union v DP World Melbourne Limited  FWCFB 6430 (led by E White)
- CCA19 v Secretary, Department of Home Affairs  FCA 946 (led by C Horan QC and E Bennett)
- CCA19 v Minister for Home Affairs  FCA 939 (led by E Bennett)
- Maribyrnong City Council v Australian Municipal, Administrative, Clerical and Services Union & Ors  FCA 773 led by C Dowling SC)
- FRM17 v Minister for Home Affairs  FCAFC 148 for DJA18 as litigation representative for DIZ18 and for Marie Theresa Arthur as litigation guardian for BXD18 (led by C Horan QC and L De Ferrari SC)
- Canfor v State of Victoria (Federal Court of Australia, VID 331 of 2018, led by R Doyle SC)
- Applications by CPB Contractors Pty Limited & John Holland Pty Ltd  FWC 1122 (for the Australian Workers' Union, unled)
- AON15 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCAFC 48 (led by N Wood)
- AKH16 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCAFC 47 ( led by N Wood)
- MZAAZ v Minister for Home Affairs (Federal Court of Australia, VID1261 of 2017, unled)
- Animals Australia Federation v Sect., Dept. of Agriculture & Anor (Federal Court of Australia, VID 688 of 2018, led by D Star QC and N Wood)
- Construction, Forestry, Maritime, Mining and Energy Union v CPB Contractors Pty Ltd and The Australian Workers’ Union  FWCFB 3702; 280 IR 293 (led by S Moore QC (as his Honour then was))
- Leda Commercial Properties Pty Ltd v Brenda Hungerford Pty Ltd  ACTCA 17; 13 ACTLR 252; 337 FLR 252 (led by M Walsh SC)
- Miller v Miller  VSCA 1 (led by C Symons)
- MacKillop Family Services Pty Ltd T/A MacKillop Family Services  FWC 617 (for the Australian Municipal, Administrative, Clerical and Services Union, led by S Moore QC (as his Honour then was))
- AGV17 v Minister for Immigration and Border Protection  FCCA 225 (unled)
- Gumurdul v Northern Land Council (Federal Court of Australia, VID 626 of 2017, led by N Wood)
- Ellis v Central Land Council (Federal Court of Australia, VID 20 of 2017, led by N Wood)
- Rirratjingu Aboriginal Corporation & Ors v Northern Land Council & Ors, NTD 8 of 2017 (for the Third Respondent and Cross-claimant, Djalu Gurruwiwi, unled)
Some of Jim's recent advisory matters are:
- Providing advice in relation to whether a particular instrument was inconsistent with the Constitutional implied freedom of political communication or otherwise inconsistent with its authorising Act;
- Providing advice in relation to whether particular State legislation was invalid by operation of section 109 of the Constitution;
- Providing advice in relation to whether particular proposed Commonwealth legislation was within the scope of a referral of power to the Commonwealth by a State for the purposes of section 51(xxxvii) of the Constitution;
- Providing advice in relation to the intersection of the unfair preferences regime in the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) with the Personal Property Securities Act 2009 (Cth).
Jim’s experience at the Court was predominantly in industrial and public law. His private-practice experience was of a general commercial nature, including contractual, insolvency, leasing, trade practices, partnership, payroll tax, valuation, town planning, and personal property securities matters.
Jim is published on corporate insolvency, personal property securities, commercial leasing, and civil procedure. He is a member of the Melbourne subcommittee of the Insolvency and Reconstruction Law Committee of the Law Council of Australia. He is a Sessional Tutor at Monash University.
Jim read with Claire Harris, and his senior mentor is Rachel Doyle SC.
To view Jim's CV click here.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 8206
Chambers: Room 1121
460 Lonsdale Street
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Property & Probate
Environmental Law & Planning Law
Industrial Relations Law & Employment Law
Public Law & Administrative Law
Human Rights Law
Tax Law & Revenue Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
15 Jun 2012
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
04 May 2017