Dr David Goodwin’s practice at the Bar is focused on Alternative Dispute Resolution, international trade and maritime law. He also advises in areas such as corporations law and corporate governance, and the economic torts. Dr Goodwin is the current President of the Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand.
He is a member of the Victorian Magistrates’ Court Single List of External Mediators and a Nationally Accredited Mediator in Australia. He is also a Fellow of the Singapore Institute of Arbitrators and a member of the arbitration panel of the Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand.
Dr Goodwin is also a business academic. He is an Associate Professor at Victoria University Business School in Melbourne, where he is Head, Industry and External Engagement.
Previously, he was a member of the faculty of RMIT University’s Graduate School of Business and Law. At RMIT he was MBA Director (2016 to 2019) and Director of the Juris Doctor program (2015 to 2016).
Dr Goodwin signed the Bar Roll in 2010 after a business career of more than two decades, working initially as a corporate lawyer with the BHP Group before progressing into senior executive roles with publicly listed companies. This included periods as Vice President Corporate Affairs for the global shipping company Neptune Orient Lines of Singapore (2005-10), Executive Vice President Corporate Affairs for BlueScope Steel (2000-05), General Manager External Affairs for OneSteel, now Arrium (1998-2000) and as Legal Manager, then General Manager New Zealand of the Australian National Line (1989-94).
His current research interests concern alternative dispute resolution, maritime law, business ethics and the economic torts.
Recent publications include:
- Goodwin D, "Justification Defences under the Economic Torts" (2019) 26 Tort Law Review 143.
- Shelley A and Goodwin D, “Optimizing Learning Outcomes Through Social Co-Creation of New Knowledge in Real-Life Client Challenges” (2018) 1 (2) Journal of Applied Learning and Teaching 13.
- Goodwin D, Banking on the House: Freight Forwarder Bills of Lading and the CRO Case (2018) 32 Australian and New Zealand Maritime Law Journal 10
- Goodwin D, Lawyers, Gunns and Money: An Australian Perspective on Environmental Campaigns and the Economic Torts (2016) 23 Torts Law Journal 230.
- Goodwin D, Exempting Environmental Protection Boycotts from Competition Laws: Should Purpose or Public Benefit be the Test? (2015) 23 Australian Journal of Competition and Consumer Law 260.
- Douglas K and Goodwin D, Artistry in Mediator Practice: Reflections from Mediators (2015) 26 Australian Dispute Resolution Journal 137.
Member, Magistrates’ Court of Victoria, Melbourne Single List of External Mediators, from 2011
President, Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand, since 2019
Fellow, Singapore Institute of Arbitrators, from 2009
Panel Member, Arbitration Panel of the Maritime Law Association of Australia and New Zealand, from 2009
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 6777
Email [email protected]
Owen Dixon Chambers West
Ground Floor, 525 Lonsdale St
Melbourne Victoria 3000
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Banking & Finance
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Insurance Law & Professional Negligence Law
Private International Law
Admiralty Law / Maritime Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
02 Nov 1988
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
20 May 2010
LL.B., Grad. Dip. Comm. Law., M. Bus. PhD