William Thomas practises primarily in commercial, construction, insurance and maritime law.
Will regularly appears in all state and federal courts and tribunals. He also accepts briefs to advise and to draw pleadings and other documents.
Will's experience includes:
- acting on behalf of the owners in the Lacrosse case, the first trial of claims concerning combustible cladding in Australia
- acting for Powercor in several actions concerning the Terang and Garvoc bushfires in March 2018
- acting for the plaintiff in a successful claim in the Supreme Court for monies owing under a share sale agreement and a successful defence of several counterclaims
- acting on behalf of Lloyd's underwriters in the Supreme Court in defending a claim under a buyer warranty and indemnity insurance policy
- defending a claim for negligent advice in relation to an agricultural venture, resulting in an award of nominal damages
- defending a claim for breach of the Telecommunications (Interception and Access Act), resulting in a successful application for summary judgment
- an arbitration in the Singapore International Arbitration Centre concerning a claim for the supply of defective hardware
- acting for sea and land carriers in response to several cargo damage claims and a regulatory prosecution
- acting for insurers in pursuing subrogated recoveries and defending claims made against insureds
- acting for building professionals, including builders, architects and engineers in several complex construction disputes
- several appeals in the Court of Appeal of the Supreme Court of Victoria
Before coming to the Bar, Will was a solicitor at Allens in the commercial litigation group and an associate to a judge of the Federal Court of Australia.
Will holds a Bachelor of Laws with first class honours from the University of Melbourne, as well as a Bachelor of Arts and a Diploma in Modern Languages in Japanese. He is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb).
Click here to view Will's CV, which includes a list of selected appearances.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 6154
Chambers: Room 1226
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Banking & Finance
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Building Law & Construction Law
Civil Procedure Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Insurance Law & Professional Negligence Law
International Commercial Law
Equity & Trusts
Powers of Attorney
Choice of Law / Jurisdiction
Conflict of Laws
Private International Law
Public Law & Administrative Law
Admiralty Law / Maritime Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
12 Nov 2013
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
05 May 2016
LLB (Hons), BA, Dip Mod Lang (Japanese) (Melb)
Also Entitled to Practise in
All Australian States and Jurisdictions