William Thomas has a broad practice with a focus on commercial and insurance-related disputes.
Cases in which Will has been briefed include:
- A substantial dispute over amounts payable under a share sale agreement, involving claims for misleading or deceptive conduct, breaches of directors’ duties and knowing receipt of trust property: Flash Lighting Company Ltd v Australian Kunqian International Energy Co Pty Ltd  VSC 711 (Led by Tim Margetts QC, instructed by Baker McKenzie)
- The first trial of claims in Victoria concerning combustible aluminium cladding, arising from the fire at the Lacrosse building in Melbourne in November 2014: Owners Corporation No 1 PS613436T v L U Simon Builders Pty Ltd  VCAT 286 (Led by David Curtain QC, instructed by Wotton + Kearney)
- A successful application to stay a proceeding pending the outcome of a related arbitration, in the context of a claim under a warranty and indemnity insurance policy: UDP Holdings Pty Ltd v Ironshore Corporate Capital Ltd (2016) 51 VR 60;  VSC 400 (Led by Wendy Harris QC, instructed by Norton Rose Fulbright Australia)
- A successful defence against an application under the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979 (Cth) concerning alleged unlawful interception of emails: Morad v El-Ashey  FCA 1136 (Unled, instructed by Pearsons Lawyers)
- An arbitration under the Rules of the Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC) involving subrogated claims arising from a recall of defective products (Led by Tim Margetts QC, instructed by Wotton + Kearney)
Before coming to the Bar, Will was a solicitor at Allens in the commercial litigation group and an associate to a judge of the Federal Court of Australia.
Will holds a Bachelor of Laws with first class honours from the University of Melbourne, as well as a Bachelor of Arts and a Diploma in Modern Languages in Japanese. He is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (MCIArb).
Click here to view Will's CV, which includes a list of reported appearances.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 6154
Chambers: Room 1226
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Banking & Finance
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Building Law & Construction Law
Civil Procedure Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Insurance Law & Professional Negligence Law
International Commercial Law
Equity & Trusts
Powers of Attorney
Choice of Law / Jurisdiction
Conflict of Laws
Private International Law
Public Law & Administrative Law
Admiralty Law / Maritime Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
12 Nov 2013
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
05 May 2016
LLB (Hons), BA, Dip Mod Lang (Japanese) (Melb)
Also Entitled to Practise in
All Australian States and Jurisdictions