Tom Barry practises in commercial, regulatory and public law.
He acts regularly in high profile disputes arising from complex transactions and major infrastructure projects.
He is recognised for his business acumen and ability to apply the law to commercial and financial dealings.
Tom acted recently for:
- The State of Victoria, a State entity, a Department Secretary and a Minister in proceedings in the Supreme Court of Victoria and the Victorian Court of Appeal challenging a major transport project;
- The world’s largest privately owned corporation in a 111 day Supreme Court trial involving allegations of misleading or deceptive conduct and breach of warranties in a AUD$420m business sale; and
- The Commonwealth of Australia in successful Federal Court proceedings involving the proper construction of an Airport Lease.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Tom was a Senior Lawyer at Gilbert + Tobin and a Senior Associate at Corrs Chambers Westgarth.
Recent matters Tom has acted in include:
- Head, Transport for Victoria v Lantrak Developments Pty Ltd  VSC 259 concerning an application to join a party to a claim for compensation arising from the compulsory acquisition of land (led by Lisa Hannon QC)
- Mackenzie v Head, Transport for Victoria  VSCA 100 concerning an appeal of a decision by Richards J dismissing challenges to a Minister's assessment under the Environment Effects Act 1978 (Vic) and a planning scheme amendment authorising a major road project (led by Christopher Caleo QC)
- CSR Building Products Limited v LMSD (Vic) Limited S ECI 2020 00390 concerning breach of warranty claims arising from a significant construction contract (led by Liam Kelly QC)
- Mackenzie v Head, Transport for Victoria (Ruling)  VSCA 24 concerning an application to adjourn the hearing of an appeal (led by Sandro Goubran SC)
- Provan's Timber Pty Ltd & Ors v Secretary to the Department of Transport  HCASL 24 concerning an application for special leave to appeal a decision of the Victorian Court of Appeal in relation to a claim for compensation for the compulsory acquisition of land (led by Sandro Goubran SC and Catherine Dermody)
- Thorpe v Head, Transport for Victoria & Ors  VSC 804 concerning interlocutory injunctive relief to restrain a major road project (led by Richard Attiwill QC and Anna Robertson)
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission v RI Advice Group Pty Ltd  FCA 1277 concerning claims of legal professional privilege in a financial services dispute (led by Dr Charles Parkinson)
- Mackenzie v Head, Transport for Victoria  VSC 328 concerning challenges to a Minister's assessment under the Environment Effects Act 1978 (Vic) and a planning scheme amendment authorising a major road project (led by Christopher Caleo QC and Sandro Goubran)
- Kim Neo Ng v Morgans Financial Limited Federal Court Proceeding VID 367/2020 concerning a financial services dispute
- Timbercorp Finance Pty Ltd (In Liq) v Tomes  VSC 519 concerning the formation, performance by journal entries and ratification of loan agreements (led by Philip Solomon QC and Dr Charles Parkinson)
- Commonwealth of Australia v Essendon Airport Pty Ltd  FCA 1411 concerning the proper construction of a payment equivalent to land tax under a lease granted by the Commonwealth of Essendon Airport, having a significant consequence to the site value of the land subject to the payment (led by Chris Canavan QC and Sandro Goubran)
- Cargill Australia Limited v Viterra Malt Pty Ltd & Ors (judgment reserved), a 111 day trial in the Supreme Court of Victoria involving allegations of misleading or deceptive conduct and breach of warranties in the sale of a business (led by Paul Anastassiou QC and Lisa Nichols QC in respect of liability; and Philip Solomon QC and Dr Charles Parkinson in respect of loss);
- Timbercorp Finance Pty Ltd v Tomes (privilege)  VSC 445 concerning confidentiality and waiver of legal professional privilege (led by Dr Charles Parkinson)
- Oxanda Childcare Pty Ltd v MAAG Developments Pty Ltd  VSC 370 concerning the construction of a land sale and lease back agreement and associated applications for freezing orders (led by David Collins QC)
- United Petroleum Australia Pty Ltd v Herbert Smith Freehills  VSC 347 involving claims arising from an IPO that did not proceed (led by Allan Myers QC and Michael Wyles QC)
Before coming to the Bar, Tom was the lead senior lawyer of teams in high profile matters including:
- for Bainbridge Grill'd in shareholder oppression proceedings in 2016 relating to Grill'd;
- for the State of Victoria to bring the East West Link project to an end in 2015;
- for Asahi in Federal Court proceedings involving claims of misleading or deceptive conduct and breach of warranties in a business sale which settled in 2014 for NZ$220m to Asahi; and
- for Mirvac Limited in the Trade Union Royal Commission in 2015 and, separately, in the Queensland Floods Commission of Inquiry in 2011 and 2012.
Tom is the Chair of an aged care facility for residents with a background in homelessness, and has sat on not for profit boards and sub-committees since 2011. He lectured economics at the University of Melbourne in 2007 and 2008 and tutored law at Newman College and economics at five residential colleges as an undergraduate.
Tom has a Master of Laws from Melbourne University, specialising in tax and competition law subjects.
Tom read with Dr Catherine Button QC and his senior mentor was Charles Scerri QC.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 7309
Email [email protected]
Chambers: Room 3111
200 Queen Street
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Property & Probate
Banking & Finance
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Building Law & Construction Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Insurance Law & Professional Negligence Law
Energy Law & Resources Law
Equity & Trusts
Inquests, Inquiries, Tribunals & Commissions
Property & Probate
Public Law & Administrative Law
Tax Law & Revenue Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
11 Dec 2007
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
04 May 2017
BComm, LLB (Hons) (Melb); LLM (Melb)