Nicholas is available to appear and advise in matters involving any area of commercial law. He has particular experience in corporations and insolvency/restructuring matters, schemes of arrangement, banking litigation and debt recovery proceedings, and class actions. His work at the Bar has included appearing as an advocate in hearings in state and federal courts and at VCAT, preparing written advice memoranda, and drawing and settling pleadings, affidavits and submissions.
Recent matters in which Nicholas has acted include:
- Nature One Dairy (Australia) Pte Ltd and related companies – Supreme Court of Victoria – claims by Nature One Dairy for misleading or deceptive conduct and breaches of contract – statutory demand set aside proceedings of related companies (with S Rosewarne).
- Re Lonnex Pty Ltd (in liquidation) – Federal Court of Australia – inquiry into the conduct of the former liquidators of Lonnex Pty Ltd (in liquidation) (with S Rosewarne and V Bell).
- Association of Ukrainians in Victoria (A.U.V.) v Association of Ukrainians St. Albans Inc. & Ors – County Court of Victoria – claim of misappropriation of funds and property (with D Harrison).
- Re Western Port Holdings Pty Ltd (receivers and managers appointed) (in liquidation)  NSWSC 232 – Supreme Court of New South Wales – unfair preference claim including third party payments – payments made while company was subject to a deed of company arrangement (with S Rosewarne).
- Matter involving the collision of personal watercrafts – Magistrates' Court of Victoria – claim of negligence and property damage (unled).
- McCallum, in the matter of TM Lewin Australia Pty Ltd (Administrators Appointed)  FCA 992 – Federal Court of Australia – application for orders regarding conduct of the administration and lease liabilities (led by O Bigos SC).
Before joining the Bar, Nicholas was a Senior Associate within the commercial litigation team of Herbert Smith Freehills in Melbourne. While at Herbert Smith Freehills he worked on matters including large unfair preference proceedings, statutory demands, breach of director's duties/trust claims, class action proceedings, and various instructions for financial institutions (including in relation to the Banking Royal Commission). He also worked on a number of schemes of arrangement, with two notable examples being those undertaken by Amcor Limited and Healthscope Limited in 2019.
Nicholas holds a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Laws (with Honours) from Deakin University. He read with Sam Rosewarne and his senior mentor was Philip Crutchfield QC.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 6047
Email [email protected]
Chambers: Room 1422
460 Lonsdale Street
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Insurance Law & Professional Negligence Law
Banking & Finance
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Civil Procedure Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Equity & Trusts
Inquests, Inquiries, Tribunals & Commissions
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
13 Nov 2012
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
07 May 2020
BA; LLB (Hons)