Mia practices predominantly in taxation and revenue law.
She acts for taxpayers and the Commissioner in a wide range of Federal and State tax and revenue matters. She provides advice and assists with tax investigations, formal interviews, objections and all stages of litigation.
Mia has advised clients in privilege disputes and has acted as an independent reviewer to resolve privilege disputes. She has also been engaged in a range of civil and commercial matters including equity and trust disputes, contract and negligence claims and disciplinary/professional licensing disputes.
Before coming to the Bar, Mia was a Senior Associate in the tax group at Norton Rose Fulbright and, before being admitted to practice as a solicitor, worked in the corporate tax group at Deloitte.
Mia is a Senior Fellow of the Law Faculty at the University of Melbourne where she lectures in the Corporate Tax A subject. She is a member of the Victorian Bar’s Tax Bar Association Committee and the Tax Institute’s Breakfast Club Committee.
She has been recognised in Doyle’s Guide as a recommended tax barrister in Victoria.
Recent matters include:
- The Bell Group Limited (in liquidation) v Federal Commissioner of Taxation - Federal Court – Dispute regarding the tax treatment of receipts from the settlement of litigation (with P D Crutchfield QC, M J O'Meara, S B Rosewarne and C Ensor for the Commissioner of Taxation, ongoing).
- Woodings as liquidator of the Bell Group Ltd (in liquidation) and Bell Group Finance Pty Ltd (in liquidation) v WA Glendinning & Associates Pty Ltd and Ors - Supreme Court of Western Australia – Proceeding relating to the distribution to creditors pursuant to s564 of the Corporation Act 2001 (with P D Crutchfield QC, S B Rosewarne and S Majteles for the Commonwealth, ongoing).
- Commissioner of Taxation v Goh and Ors - Federal Court – with A J Myers AC QC and F D O’Loughlin QC, resolved after filing of evidence but before hearing.
- NQZG and Commissioner of Taxation - AAT - Dispute over tax treatment of receipt relating to sale of shares (unled for the taxpayer, decision reserved).
- Ho, Loh, Low & Orr and Commissioner of Taxation  AATA 3911 – Dispute over GST treatment of sale of subdivided property (unled for the Commissioner of Taxation).
- Clarson Holdings Pty Ltd v Hindle, Buckley v Hindle - Supreme Court of Victoria – Negligence claim against former tax advisor (with F D O’Loughlin QC for the plaintiffs, resolved before hearing).
To view a copy of Mia's CV please click here.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 6505
Chambers: Room 0316
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Equity & Trusts
Public Law & Administrative Law
Tax Law & Revenue Law
Capital Gains Tax
Goods & Services Tax
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
15 Feb 2011
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
26 Oct 2016