Matthew practices in a broad range of commercial law disputes, with a focus on insolvency, banking and finance, professional negligence, insurance and the Australian Consumer Law.
He has appeared in a variety of matters, both led and unled, in the Federal Court, Supreme Court, County Court and Magistrates’ Court.
Matters in which Matthew has appeared include:
- Cargill Australia Pty Ltd v Viterra Malt Pty Ltd & Ors – Supreme Court of Victoria. Claim regarding misleading or deceptive conduct and breach of warranties in respect of the sale of a business. Trial ongoing, 73 sitting days to the end of December 2018. Led by Paul Anastassiou QC and Lisa Nichols QC with Kate Burke, Helen Tiplady, Chris Tran, Premala Thiagarajan and Tom Barry.
- In the matter of Minken Pty Ltd – Supreme Court of Victoria. Application by liquidators for directions and/or declarations as of rights pursuant to section 479(3) of the Corporations Act. Matter ongoing. Led by Jonathan Evans QC.
- A.R.T. Builders Pty Ltd v Wire It Electrics Pty Ltd – Supreme Court of Victoria (unreported). Successfully opposed application to set aside statutory demand.
- Orhan & Anor v Han & Anor – County Court of Victoria. Competing applications for interlocutory injunctions pending trial.
- Acting for a former director of a company during his examination by the company’s liquidators – Federal Court.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Matthew was a Senior Associate at Russell Kennedy. He worked there for ten years in the Dispute Resolution and Banking & Finance Litigation practice groups.
At Russell Kennedy, Matthew acted for:
- Liquidators and bankruptcy trustees in relation to all aspects of corporate and personal insolvency;
- Thermomix in Australia Pty Ltd in Federal Court proceedings brought against it by the ACCC for breaches of the Australian Consumer Law;
- A wide range of banks, non-bank lenders and finance corporations in the enforcement of their security interests; and
- Large and small insurers in relation to indemnity, liability and quantum disputes for property damage in the County and Magistrates’ Courts.
Matthew also spent more than 13 months on secondment at the Financial Ombudsman Service (now the Australian Financial Complaints Authority) where he assisted with the resolution of disputes against financial planners and life insurers.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 7329
Owen Dixon Chambers West
Ground Floor, 525 Lonsdale St
Melbourne Victoria 3000
Banking & Finance
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Building Law & Construction Law
Civil Procedure Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Insurance Law & Professional Negligence Law
Property & Probate
Energy Law & Resources Law
Equity & Trusts
Motor Vehicle Insurance
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
22 Apr 2009
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
10 May 2018
LLB (Hons), BCom (Accounting Major)