Matthew practices in a broad range of commercial law disputes, with a focus on insolvency, banking and finance, professional negligence, insurance and the Australian Consumer Law.
He has appeared in a variety of matters, both led and unled, in the Federal Court, Supreme Court, County Court, Magistrates’ Court and in VCAT.
Matthew appeared for the Plaintiff in Cargill Australia Pty Ltd v Viterra Malt Pty Ltd & Ors led by Paul Anastassiou QC (as His Honour then was), Lisa Nichols QC (as Her Honour then was) and Philip Solomon QC, with Kate Burke, Charles Parkinson, Helen Tiplady, Kathleen Foley, Chris Tran, Premala Thiagarajan and Tom Barry. The trial ran for 111 days in the Supreme Court. The Plaintiff’s claim was for misleading or deceptive conduct, deceit and breach of contractual warranties in respect of the purchase of a large malting business. Judgment is currently reserved.
Other matters in which Matthew has appeared include:
- In the matter of Minken Pty Ltd – Supreme Court of Victoria (unreported). Successful application by liquidators for directions pursuant to section 479(3) of the Corporations Act. Led by Jonathan Evans QC.
- Metropolitan Fire & Emergency Services Board v Architectus Group Pty Ltd & Ors – Supreme Court of Victoria. Application for production of documents over which the Plaintiff had made a claim for legal professional privilege. Led by Cam Truong QC.
- A.R.T. Builders Pty Ltd v Wire It Electrics Pty Ltd – Supreme Court of Victoria (unreported). Successful opposition to the application to set aside statutory demand.
- Orhan & Anor v Han & Anor – County Court of Victoria. Competing applications for interlocutory injunctions pending trial.
- Acting for a former director of a company during his examination by the company’s liquidators – Federal Court.
Matthew has experience acting for liquidators and bankruptcy trustees in relation to all aspects of corporate and personal insolvency, banks, non-bank lenders and finance corporations in the enforcement of their security interests and large and small insurers in relation to indemnity, liability and quantum disputes.
Prior to coming to the Bar, Matthew was a Senior Associate at Russell Kennedy. He worked there for ten years in the Dispute Resolution and Banking & Finance Litigation practice groups. At Russell Kennedy, amongst other matters, Matthew acted for Thermomix in Australia Pty Ltd in Federal Court proceedings brought against it by the ACCC for breaches of the Australian Consumer Law.
Matthew also spent more than 13 months on secondment at the Financial Ombudsman Service (now the Australian Financial Complaints Authority) where he assisted with the resolution of disputes against financial planners and life insurers.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 7329
Chambers: Room 1901
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Banking & Finance
Bankruptcy Law & Insolvency Law
Building Law & Construction Law
Civil Procedure Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Insurance Law & Professional Negligence Law
Property & Probate
Energy Law & Resources Law
Equity & Trusts
Motor Vehicle Insurance
Choice of Law / Jurisdiction
Conflict of Laws
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
22 Apr 2009
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
10 May 2018
LLB (Hons), BCom (Accounting Major)