Jane practises in commercial law, in particular, competition and consumer law, construction law and insolvency law. She also has some experience in public law matters and is keen to develop this aspect of her practice further.
Before signing the Bar Roll, Jane was a solicitor at Allens. Her experience at Allens included a one year secondment to Ford Motor Company, where she assisted with both class action proceedings and ACCC litigation relating to consumer law issues. In addition to developing her consumer law expertise, the secondment provided Jane with a unique opportunity to develop her commercial acumen and observe how barristers can best assist in-house legal counsel.
Jane is currently completing a Master of Laws at the University of Melbourne. She has a Bachelor of Laws with first class honours and a Bachelor of Commerce, both from Monash University.
Some matters in which Jane has been briefed are set out below.
Competition and consumer law
- Clinical Laboratories Pty Ltd v 4Cyte Pathology Pty Ltd and MyClinic Prahran Pty Ltd, Supreme Court: led by Peter Collinson QC with Christopher Archibald (dispute regarding restraint of trade clauses in commercial leases)
- Coles Supermarkets Australia Pty Ltd v Eltech Industries (a partnership) and Eltech Global Pty Ltd, Supreme Court: led by David Batt QC with Daniel Aghion (dispute regarding consumer guarantees and alleged misleading or deceptive conduct)
- CMG Automotive Pty Ltd v Alistair Fenton and Jeanette Fenton, Supreme Court: with Mark Campbell (appeal from VCAT decision that vehicle supplied was not of acceptable quality)
- Assisted with the ACCC’s review of the Sydney Transport Partners Consortium’s proposed acquisition of WestConnex (merger authorisation)
Property and construction law
- Roth Morgan Kolomanski Pty Ltd v Candlebrush Investments Pty Ltd, Supreme Court: led by Jeremy Twigg QC (property development dispute including an application to restrain solicitors from acting)
- Alphington Developments Pty Ltd v Amcor Limited, Supreme Court: with Daniel Aghion and Georgia Douglas (property development dispute including an application regarding privilege issues)
- Total Construction Pty Ltd v V & K Engineering Pty Ltd, County Court: unled (claim against subcontractor for liquidated damages and rectification works)
- Ausbuild Construction Pty Ltd v Safety Glass Pty Ltd t/a Melbourne Safety Glass, VCAT: unled (claim against subcontractor for rectification works)
General commercial law
- Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Tricore Matrix Pty Ltd; Deputy Commissioner of Taxation v Tricore Management Pty Ltd, Federal Court: unled (winding up application)
- Archiblox Pty Ltd v Groundmaster Engineering Pty Ltd, Supreme Court: unled (application to set aside two statutory demands)
- Lakshmanan Chinnasamy v Jonathan Arulnayagam t/a Riks Mahal, Fair Work Commission: unled (unfair dismissal)
- Melbourne Pilates Group Pty Ltd v Paul Higgins; Greg Paterson v Paul Higgins and Emily Higgins, Magistrates' Court: unled (dispute regarding fiduciary obligations and the right of contribution in equity)
Jane read with Albert Dinelli and her senior mentor is Penny Neskovcin QC.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 7712
Chambers: Room 1503
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Energy Law & Resources Law
Equity & Trusts
Industrial Relations Law & Employment Law
Inquests, Inquiries, Tribunals & Commissions
Public Law & Administrative Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
12 Nov 2013
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
26 Oct 2017
LLB (Hons), BCom