Evelyn has a broad practice in commercial, public and criminal law.
She has advised and acted for government, corporate and individual clients in a range of commercial matters including corporations law, contracts, consumer protection, commercial arbitration, employment law, building, tenancy, planning and defamation law. Her public law practice includes human rights, migration law, freedom of information, disciplinary proceedings and coronial inquiries.
Evelyn is also available to appear in relation to criminal matters involving administrative law or the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities, criminal breaches of the Corporations Act or work health and safety laws as well as fraud and environmental, building and planning offences.
Evelyn teaches regularly at Leo Cussen Institute, including in advocacy and administrative law as well as lectures in administrative law at Australian Catholic University.
Since coming to the Bar, she has appeared in a variety of matters including:
High Court of Australia
- HFM043 v The Republic of Nauru  HCA 37: statutory interpretation (led by Craig Lenehan and Matthew Albert for the appellant, instructed by Russell Kennedy)
- WET044 v The Republic of Nauru  HCA 14: judicial review (led by Wendy Harris QC and Matthew Albert for the appellant, instructed by Russell Kennedy)
- MEG027 & Anor v The Republic of Nauru: resolved by consent (led by Wendy Harris QC and Matthew Albert for the appellant, instructed by Russell Kennedy)
Federal Court of Australia
- BAF18 as litigation representative for BAG18 v Minister for Home Affairs  FCA 1060: interloctury injunction for urgent medical treatment (for the applicant, instructed by Russell Kennedy)
- Comite Interprofessionnel du Vin de Champagne v Powell  FCA 1110: misleading or deceptive conduct claim and alleged breaches of the Australian Grape and Wine Act 2013 (for the respondent, closing submissions phase with Natalie Hickey )
Court of Appeal
- Mayback Pty Ltd v F. Ferguson Wool Co Pty Ltd: Appeal from County Court resolved by consent (for the defendant, instructed by Nicholsons Lawyers)
Supreme Court of Australia
- In the matter of Tatts Group Limited  VSC 552, 2017 VSC 770: Scheme of arrangement between Tatts Group Limited and Tabcorp Holding (led by Peter Collinson QC/Philip Crutchfield QC for the Applicant, instructed by Clayton Utz);
- Matsoukatidou v Yarra Ranges Council  VSC 61: Judicial review application on grounds of procedural fairness and the Charter of Human Rights and Responsibilities (led by Kylie Evans for the plaintiffs, instructed by Collin Biggers & Paisley);
- Von Marbug v Aldred & Anor  VSC 565;  VSC 566;  VSC 36;  VSC 467: Interlocutory rulings in defamation claim with respect to Facebook posts and comments and whether publication was properly pleaded (led by Justin A Castelan for the first defendant, instructed by Belbridge Hague/Marquette Lawyers);
County Court of Australia
- F. Ferguson Wool Co Pty Ltd v Mayback Pty Ltd  VCC 1562: Contracts dispute over settlement agreement (for the defendant, instructed by Nicholsons Lawyers)
- Hartup v Mayback Pty Ltd: Contracts dispute over sale of land - proceeding resolved (led by Jeremy Twigg SC for the defendant, instructed by Nicholsons Lawyers)
- Australian Democrats National Incorporated v .AU Domain Administration Limited & Anor: Dispute over entitlement to domain names of a political party - proceedings dismissed (for the second defendant, instructed by Aitken Partners);
- Australian Securities and Investments Commission v Seifeddine: criminal prosecution for breaches of directors' duties - plea (for the defendant, instructed by Mason Black Lawyers);
- Graphic Art Supplies Pty Ltd v Proteus Corporation: Contracts dispute over aviation services - judgment for plaintiff (for the plaintiff, instructed by Belbridge Hague)
Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal
- Ron Englehart Pty Ltd v Dimitrijevic & Paul: Building and defects dispute under the Domestic Building Contracts Act 1995 - proceeding resolved mid-hearing (led by Sam Hay for the defendant and counter-claimant, instructed by Millens Pty Ltd); and
- Demi Anderson v Best Hooper Pty Ltd: Professional negligence - proceeding dismissed with costs for the respondent (for the respondent, instructed by Best Hooper).
Prior to coming to the Bar, Evelyn was Senior Associate to the Honourable Justice Almond in the Supreme Court of Victoria. She practised for four years as a solicitor at Clayton Utz in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution team, during which she was also seconded to Justice Connect Homeless Law.
Evelyn has worked for over 10 years with various not-for-profit organisations. While completing her undergraduate degree, Evelyn founded and co-directed the Human Rights Arts and Film Festival and is currently Chair of the board.
Evelyn read with Hamish Redd and her senior mentor was Peter Gray QC.
To view a copy of Evelyn's CV, please click here.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 6612
FAX +61 3 9225 6355
Chambers: Room 0126/127
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Alternative Dispute Resolution
Intellectual Property & Trade Practices
Property & Probate
Corporations Law & Securities Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Building Law & Construction Law
Insurance Law & Professional Negligence Law
Corporate / White Collar Crime
Health & Safety
Proceeds of Crime
Industrial Relations Law & Employment Law
Inquests, Inquiries, Tribunals & Commissions
Public International Law
Public Law & Administrative Law
Human Rights Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
15 Dec 2009
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
23 Oct 2014
LLB(Hons)/BCA, DipML (French), DipArts (DevSt)