Alex commenced her practice in Victoria at Mallesons Stephens Jacques (now King & Wood Mallesons) working on the State of Victoria’s claim against the auditors of Tricontinental and the SBV. From there she worked at a number of firms, including Deacons (now Norton Rose Fulbright) with increasing focus on professional liability and insurance claims (particularly construction).
Alex practises in the commercial sphere with particular interest in professional negligence, liability, environmental and building claims. She was seconded to a financial institution and undertook asset recovery work for that institution. She is experienced in all forms of ADR, particularly mediation.
Cases in which Alex has appeared include:
Federal Court of Australia Asahi v PEP and Ors (with G McArthur QC and M Collins QC for AIG as warranty and indemnity insurer)
Supreme Court of Victoria
- Colin Campbell Chemicals v QBE & Ors (indemnity dispute, including appeal on waiver of privilege, with M Loughnan QC)
- Ambridge investments v TressCox & Anor (with C Scerri QC) (professional negligence claim, settled)
- Jackson v Bruty (bushfire class action with P Murdoch QC, settled)
- McConnell Dowell v Santam & Ors ( insurance dispute with T Margetts QC, settled)
- Gippsreal v Symonds (successful defence of personal costs orders)
- Re Manlio (successful defence of personal costs orders)
- Barooga Nurseries ats Toolamba and Ors (with P Murdoch QC) (Product liability)Grocon Constructors v Planit Cocciardi: Originating motion seeking judicial review of adjudications made pursuant to the Building and Construction Industry Security of Payments Act (with M Robins QC)
- Girotto v Phillips Fox: Solicitors' negligence action (with M Clarke);Butler v JSL Racing (with M Robins QC)
Supreme Court of Western Australia Allstate v Blake Dawson: Solicitors' negligence action (with C Macaulay SC as His Honour then was)
Western Australia Court of Appeal Allstate v Blake Dawson (with P. Riordan SC as His Honour then was) (settled)
Supreme Court of NSW (Commercial list) Mining investment and loan dispute (with M Loughnan QC) (settled)
Melbourne Magistrates Court McNair v Linfox: OH&S prosecution (plea) (with P Priest QC as His Honour then was)
- Thomson v ASCC (indemnity dispute on personal injury claim)
- Rombotis v Kenny (successful defence professional negligence claim)
- Nader v Valasinivius (commercial loan dispute)
- Barooga Nurseries ats Toolamba and Ors (with P Murdoch QC) (Product liability)
- Cohen v Westbury Holdings (product liability) (with M Thompson SC).
Victoria Court of Appeal
- Gippsreal v Symonds (appeal re personal costs orders)
- Bach v Dometic; directors' duties and entitlements (with P Collinson SC)
Alex also regularly appears at VCAT in the Building and Property, Review and Regulation, Legal Practice and Civil Claims Lists. Co-monitor of the CommBar insurance and Professional Negligence Section.
Alex is a recommended insurance junior barrister in Doyle's Guide 2017 and 2018. Alex is the Victorian editor of the Insurance Law Bulletin, a current member and past president of the Victorian chapter of the Australian Professional Indemnity Group and a former National Committee member. Alex is a past member of the Gordon and Jackson List Committee.
Victorian Bar Committee memberships
Current member of the Victorian Bar Ethics Committee
Previously on the Professional Conduct Committee
Click here to view Alexandra's CV.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards legislation. The information referred to above has been supplied by the barrister concerned. Neither Victorian Bar Inc nor the barrister's clerk have independently verified the accuracy or completeness of the information and neither accepts any responsibility in that regard.
PH +61 3 +61 3 9225 6749
FAX +61 3 9225 7907
Chambers: Room 0418
Owen Dixon Chambers West
525 Lonsdale Street
Banking & Finance
Building Law & Construction Law
Competition Law & Consumer Law
Insurance Law & Professional Negligence Law
Property & Probate
Equity & Trusts
Inquests, Inquiries, Tribunals & Commissions
Public Law & Administrative Law
Admitted to the Legal Profession:
30 Nov 1992
Signed Victorian Bar Roll:
21 May 2009
LL.B.(Adelaide); B. Ec; Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (SAIT).
Insurance & Professional Negligence